Monday, October 15, 2007

Only a dozen.

This is not a suggestion, it is a command from the Lord. Sometimes, I grumble at the thought of forgiving some of the jokers that have made my life difficult in one way or another. There have been more than a few times in my life when I whined the "I didn't do anything to deserve that" song. There is no need to go into all that because we have all heard it a thousand times, however, I would like to share some things I have learned along the way. If you can read this with a tone of voice, please make it an understanding one and not a condemning one.
  1. Refusing to forgive keeps me in bondage to the offense, making me a prisoner of the pain.
  2. Sometimes it is wisest to forgive without ever seeing the person again. Never put ourselves in physical danger. Use wisdom.
  3. Sometimes we can forgive without speaking to the person again. Manipulators who are forgiven will still manipulate.
  4. Forgiving someone does not mean I am responsible to help them see the error of their ways.
  5. Keeping numbers 2 and 3 in mind,; it is possible to forgive someone who has passed away.
  6. Some people do not deserve to be forgiven by any rational standard. Forgive them anyway.
  7. Resentment in the Latin means to feel again. When I allow a resentment to remain, I am feeling the hurt all over again each time I think of it. And I think of it a lot. It is mental torture.
  8. Just because we haven't completely forgotten the pain does not mean that we have not truly forgiven.
  9. Forgiving is not a feeling, it is a decision.
  10. Unforgiving requires a hardened heart and hard hearts don't hear God so well.
  11. Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation for Thine is the kingdom and the glory and power forever.
  12. Sometimes I can be the one who is big enough to forgive; sometimes I need someone to be big enough to forgive me.

I am forgiven. I am forgiving. I am moving forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is good stuff. May we all remember the ultimate gift that allowed us to be forgiven, Jesus. Even the worst of the worst sins. If we can remember that it would sure help forgiving others and ourselves.