Saturday, October 13, 2007

Saturday in the land of A.D.D.

I love that I have A.D.D. The initials, by the way, stand for Adorably Diligently Detoured. That is my version of it .
I did not realize that A.D.D. even existed until I was in my 40s. Then, I heard a talk show on Christian radio explaining this behavior. I don't believe it is a disease or a disorder. It is just the way some people are wired for goodness sakes. Calm down people! (Not you, the ones who keep looking for new diseases.)
Anyway, as I was listening, I said, THAT"S ME! Now that I have a little understanding of it, I find myself able to reign my thoughts in more often. I am able to start and finish something. I am capable of getting work done and have even discovered that I can run a hair department on a tv series or movie. Amazing! I discovered that I do not have secretarial skills or organizational skills but I have best friends that do have those skills. I am an idea person and an artsy fartsy person but I can get bogged down if I have to go through too many hoops to accomplish something. Then, my mind wanders and I find something else to do.
Today, I got caught up in the yard...again. I cut back my 4 rose bushes and moved a few potted plants around and put white stones around my backyard rose bush and sprayed weed killer in the beds and played with the dogs and colored my hair and showered and styled my hair. All that after I made oatmeal and raisins and ate with Ed and let the dogs out and let the dogs in and tidyed up the kitchen. Then I started reading some blogs and started writing this. Now, I have to go get my make-up on and get dressed for the Every Woman meeting in an hour. I said I would be one of the greeters. This meeting is called a Challenge and tells me I might be using some skills I might not know I have. I am up for a Challenge, just hope I don't have to organize something.
That's all for today. Remember, Just keep breathing.

2 comments:

Hbomb said...

Here's my ADD moment...I took off Friday to get caught up on housework and to go to Emerald Isle to visit our college pastor who had brought the college ministry from Boone. As I dropped the kids and Johnny off at work, I went to Lowes got some mulch, looked at flowers and figured what I'd need to finish my landscaping (keep in mind my plan was just to clean)I got home and put out the mulch, watered the flowers, planted a few more, watered those, then I decided the car needed to be cleaned out. 2 hours later I had cleaned all the carpet, scrubbed all the vinyl, washed the outside, cleaned the windows, and organized the extra set of clothes in the truck of the cars that I keep in case of emergency. By this time, it was time to eat lunch and before I could finish lunch, Johnny had called to tell me he was on his way to pick me up to head to E.I....I hopped in the shower, got ready and left my house the same way it was the day before as we headed to Emerald Isle.

haircone said...

Shoot Helen, That is more than a moment!! I am laughing my face off right now. I can identify completely with that process. Knew there was an extra reason that I love you guys so much.